K-5 Admissions Webinar
NEW! Recorded February 1, 2023
Kindergarten Information Webinar
NEW! Recorded January 18, 2023
"Why 5th Grade at The Island School?" Webinar
NEW! Recorded February 13, 2023
Social Emotional Learning Webinar
NEW! Recorded March 1, 2023
Outdoor Learning Webinar
Recorded April 29, 2021
At The Island School you will find:
- teachers and staff who believe in giving students an education that combines academics with joyful learning
- small classes with a typical student-to-teacher ratio of 9:1
- a community of students, teachers, staff, parents, grandparents, relatives and friends working together
- children and adults interacting with care and respect
- a diverse student population with an array of backgrounds, ethnicities, interests, capabilities and learning styles
- vibrant Art, Physical Education, Music and Spanish programs
- adults and children who value a community bound by mutual respect and consideration of others
- alumni who are successful and compassionate contributors in their professions and communities
Step 1 - Visit
Step 1 - Arrange a visit.
Interested families may inquire online or call Joan Henderson at 206-842-0400 for a visit to get an overview of the program and a tour of the school. Parents are encouraged to visit during the school day to experience joyful learning in action.
Step 2 - Request Financial Aid
Step 2 - Request Financial Aid
Economic diversity is a valuable component of our community. For some families, the cost of an independent school education for their children is simply beyond their means. Financial aid may be available for families who cannot otherwise afford to pay full tuition. We strongly encourage families to read the information below and contact us with questions.
Click below to learn more about:
Interested in applying? Download the Financial Aid Application Info Sheet here. The deadline for submitting financial aid applications has been extended to February 16, 2023. After this date, you may contact us to ask about any remaining financial aid for the upcoming school year.
Step 3 - Learn More
Step 3 - Attend an Admissions Event and/or view our Webinars, if possible.
Held from late January through spring, these events provide an in-depth overview of the school’s mission, philosophy, curriculum, policies and practices, as well as an opportunity to meet our faculty and staff. Contact us at any time to request an email reminder for these events.
Kindergarten Info Webinar - Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 7pm. Click here to watch the recorded video and learn all about our full-day kindergarten program.
Family Open House - Saturday, January 21, 2023, 2 - 4pm. Come experience how our teachers encourage children’s natural curiosity while delivering academics, arts and social emotional learning. Try our hands-on activities for parents and children.
View our recorded webinars at the top of this page.
Step 4 - Apply
Step 4 - Submit the completed application and the non-refundable $50 application fee.
The full application process includes:
- parent visit and tour of school
- online application and fee
- teacher recommendation
- transcript from current/former school (not required for kindergarten applicants)
- student visit
Application Link and Forms to Download
Step 5 - Student Visit
Step 5 - Arrange for a Student Visit
Children applying to grades 1 – 5 will visit for a partial or full day. Children applying for kindergarten will be invited to a group kindergarten visit.
Items 1-4 in Step 4 (above) are required before a student visit can be scheduled.
Contact Joan Henderson to schedule your appointment.
An Island School education is an investment in your child’s future.
46% of our students received a financial aid grant
Average grant amount is $11,800
Financial aid grants range from 10% of tuition to 90% of tuition
Over $530,000 in financial aid granted
100% of demonstrated financial need met
2023-24 Tuition for Grades K - 5 = $20,300
NOTE: Starting with the 2023-24 school year, Kindergarten will have a full-day schedule and the tuition will be the same as for grades 1-5.
The Island School is committed to attracting and retaining an economically diverse student body. In order to support this diversity, we have established a financial aid program for families who may need some financial assistance in order to afford tuition.
We recognize independent school education is a choice for families, and some families make significant financial sacrifices to support this choice. We strongly encourage families who simply cannot cover the full cost of tuition, even after the most careful household budgeting, to consider applying for financial aid.
Financial Aid facts:
- To determine the most fair and equitable estimate of a family’s need, financial aid applications are processed by School and Student Services (SSS), which provides an independent assessment of financial need.
- The Island School Financial Aid Committee utilizes the SSS determinations, along with information gathered from the applicant, to determine a family’s eligibility.
- Financial aid decisions are made based on a family’s eligibility and the availability of financial aid funds.
- All financial and personal information provided to The Island School is reviewed only by the Financial Aid Committee and is completely confidential.
- The deadline for submitting financial aid applications has been extended to February 16, 2023. After this date, you may contact us to ask about any remaining financial aid for the upcoming school year.
- To begin your application for financial aid, download our Financial Aid Application Info Sheet.
The Island School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship or immigration status, gender identity or expression, genetic information or other legally protected status in admission of otherwise qualified students or in providing access to the rights, privileges, programs, or activities generally available to all students and their families, including educational policies, tuition assistance programs, other school-administered programs and activities.