The Island School is the only elementary school on Bainbridge Island accredited by the Northwest Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS).
The Northwest Association of Independent Schools promotes the ongoing improvement of its member schools and advances independent school education by:
- Supporting schools in achieving their missions
- Cultivating excellence in school leadership
- Furthering diversity, equity and inclusion
- Encouraging free and open inquiry
- Fostering collegial and collaborative relationships
- Championing our public purpose
NWAIS shapes the future of education by fostering transformative school leadership and advancing, energizing and sustaining regional independent schools.
- Healthy, Just, Diverse, and Inclusive Communities
- Continuous Improvement
- Transformative, Visionary Leadership
- The Positive Impact of Independent School Education
Expectations of Member Schools and Affiliates
- Commitment to the Public Good
- Effective Governance and Operations
- Primary Focus of Academic Education
- Commitment to the Best Interests of Children
To learn about the advantages of choosing a NWAIS school, click here.
For information on what it means to be accredited by NWAIS, click here.
For more information, visit www.nwais.org.
The Island School is a member of the Washington Federation of Independent Schools (WFIS).
The Washington Federation of Independent Schools exists to strengthen education for the students of Washington State as the advocate for and voice of independent schools.
- Educational Freedom and Independence – WFIS values the freedom of families to choose how their children will be educated and upholds the independence of educational institutions to deliver the curricula that most effectively supports the mission of its school.
- Diversity – WFIS honors the diversity of families, students and educational institutions in Washington State. We celebrate the many unique educational missions of our member schools and recognize that diversity in our membership makes us a stronger voice for independent schools.
- Cooperation and Collaboration – WFIS values working with its partners in a cooperative and collaborative spirit to support all students in its member schools.
For more information, visit www.wfis.org.
The Green Team is proud to say that The Island School has been an EarthGen Sustaining Platinum Level school since 2018, the first school in the state to achieve this recognition. (EarthGen was formerly known as Washington Green Schools.)
Students, teachers and parents at The Island School have worked together since 2009 to make lasting changes in the areas of waste and recycling, water use, energy use, transportation, healthy school buildings and school grounds. Their achievements include major reductions in waste, measurable increases in composting and recycling, a “no idle” rule in the parking lot, purchasing Green Power from Puget Sound Energy, serving as a collection site for cell phone and CFL light bulb recycling, and creation of animal habitats on school grounds. In the interest of energy efficiency, students carried out a “power down” campaign that educated students and resulted in lower energy usage. Students ran an environmental poster campaign and created winter bird feeders. Trash audits are conducted frequently.
We look forward with confidence and excitement as we continue in the EarthGen process. There is always more to learn and do toward an even more environmentally aware and responsible way of life at The Island School.
For more information about EarthGen's programs, visit earthgenwa.org.
One Call for All is an umbrella organization providing needed funding to many essential nonprofits on Bainbridge Island. They raise funds through an annual island-wide mailing of the Red Envelope each October. The beauty of One Call for All is that 100% of the money you donate goes directly to the nonprofit(s) you designate.
Choosing The Island School on your One Call for All form is another easy way to support us here at The Island School.